Wednesday, June 20, 2012

An Interview with John Curran: Part One

John Curran
When I reviewed Agatha Christie’s Murder in the Making, I was pleased to announce that I had the great honour of interviewing John Curran, the author of Agatha Christie’s Secret Notebooks and Agatha Christie’s Murder in the Making. It was a great honour for me as an admirer of Curran’s Christie-related work.

But this isn’t necessarily a traditional interview. This is more of a discussion between two enthusiasts about Agatha Christie. We do refer to Mr. Curran’s books quite often, but this is an opportunity to get to know the man behind the book—what are his opinions on Christie, her work, her skills? It was quite an enlightening discussion and to put it simply, I had a blast.

As I write this the final part of the interview is currently uploading to YouTube, but because there are 13 clips I will share them with you all over two days to make things easier. (And I know what you’re thinking—doesn’t thirteen mean bad luck? Well, we should be fine as long as ominous music doesn’t play in the background and if Poirot isn’t praying in the next room.) So I present you with the first seven clips below. Feel free to watch them without any fear: whenever a major spoiler is coming up, I personally interrupt everything to warn viewers about it.

Below, Mr. Curran and I talk about all sorts of things Christie, including: the recent stage version of And Then There Were None with the original ending restored; the horrible job filmmakers have done with Christie’s plots; the merits of Nemesis and the completely different approaches the two adaptations took; the masterwork that is Five Little Pigs; whether Geraldine McEwan did a decent job as Miss Marple; and whether Endless Night is really the finest book of Christie’s late career. And there’s plenty more where that came from!

I hope you all enjoy this interview/discussion, and I look forward to sharing Part Two with you tomorrow!








No comments:

Post a Comment